|Home||History||Specification||Survivors||Fleet No||Chassis No||Operators||Contractors||Organisations||Mobile Homes||What's New|
Company's roots lead back to the Clacton-based business of Mr. W P Allen, who,
in 1922 opened an operation in Lincoln - after 1926, trading as 'Silver Queen.'
industry’s consolidation of the 1920s saw the business taken over by a new
subsidiary of Thomas Tilling Ltd and the British Automobile Traction (B.A.T.)
Group as the Lincolnshire Road Car Company in August 1928.
The south Lincolnshire operations of sister TBAT company United passed to
Road Car in 1931, and the company started its habit of acquiring smaller
companies – including Retford Motor Services (1928) and Skegness Motor
Services (1934) – the latter bringing open sided Vulcan “toastrack” single
deckers to the fleet.
The pre-war vehicle purchases represented the BAT / BET majority share,
being mainly Leylands.
1942, The Tillings / BAT partnership ended, and Road Car – or
“Lincolnshire” as the buses were branded, became part of the Tillings Group,
and was nationalised in 1948, the fleet becoming largely standardised on green
Bristol / Eastern Coach Works buses and coaches – K and L types being followed
by LD, FS and FLF ‘Lodekkas’, LS, MW and SC single deckers – most single
deckers being purchased in coach form as well as buses – including a batch of
rare SC coaches.
LH single deckers followed, and the Company was an early user of RE
major expansion took place in 1950 when the Enterprise and Silver Dawn company,
then the major operator in Scunthorpe and Gainsborough, was acquired.
common with much of the British bus industry, the early 1950s were the peak
years for the Company and the seaside resorts it served.
At this time, the Company’s buses operated as far as Doncaster,
Nottingham, Kings Lynn and Leicester.
Rural settlements – including Amber Hill, Bag Enderby, Drinsey Nook,
Jerusalem, Maryland and New York - were served as well.
Express services connected the County with London, and Lincolnshire
coaches played their part in the ‘Associated Motorways’ consortium, later to
be a foundation of the National Express network.
dark green gave way to National Bus Company leaf green in the early 1970s, and
the standard new buses were Bristol VRs, Leyland Nationals, and quite a large
fleet of Bristol LH single deckers, some of which lasted until the mid 1990s.
The Company’s last traditional ‘Lodekkas’ – and last conductors
– operated in Scunthorpe in 1982.
Company’s Central Works at Bracebridge Heath was re-launched under the NBC as
Associated Passenger Transport, who acted as breakers / dealers for a number of
NBC fleets, as well as carrying out conversions and work for outside bodies
(e.g. British Rail – for whom a number of buses were converted as mobile
workshops) – the venture proved not to be sustainable.
Deregulation saw competition – particularly in the South of the County, where the Holbeach and Boston operations were closed and the routes abandoned to independents. The Company – now owned by the Stagecoach Group.
NBC inheritance has gradually faded away, the Company’s last Bristol, VR No.
1958 (PFE 542V) being withdrawn and donated to the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle
Society in 2001, where it joined a number of former Road Car and other buses,
and has since returned to NBC green livery.
|For full details click here.|
|Fleet No||Reg No||In service||Out Service||Original Op||Remarks|
|2494||RFE 482||Jun 91||Linc 2494|
|Boston (Closed 1980)|
|Grantham (Closed 2004)|
|Holbeach (Closed 1980s)|
|Horncastle (Closed 1970s)|
|Market Rasen (Opened 2004)|